Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dr. Damages Interviews Andy Uba, Ngige, Soludo & others

When I was a five year old, I watched my first concert. It was performed by the students of St. Monica’s women’s teachers’ training college, in Ogbunike. I recalled how the curtain opened and these young women, dressed in elegant gown, high heel shoes and long wigs came out to sing in their angelic voice, the song called Anambra State.Then, I had no understanding what a burden it was to be born in Anambra State. For this special edition of the Tonight Show with Dr. Damages, I have invited the same choir to come and sing that same song for us. Three decades after, their voices have cracked, their backs have stooped and their faces are wrinkled. They are not wearing elegant gowns or high heel shoes or even wigs, but the essence of the song has remained the same. Please give it up to the St. Monica’s choir.